Tuesday, December 29, 2009

the sea.


Revelation 21:1
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

I have heard this verse countless times.
It's a verse of jubilation, spoken often at worship services.
Reminding us to look forward to heaven and realize that this earth can never compare.

But, I never noticed the "no longer any sea" part. I love the sea! Why won't it be part of this "NEW heaven and NEW earth!?" Thankfully I have a trusted Life Application Bible and they chose to write a bit about this exact verse. Apparently the sea in John's time was viewed as dangerous and changeable. It was also the source of the beast. So, they wouldn't want it to be part of their "perfection". And even though it may be part of our current view of what heaven will be ... heaven is about so much more than physical terms.

Just like I'm realizing how life is so much more than physical things (I'm not talking about Chanel handbags and Iphones). It's more than the physical thing of serving. It's more than natural beauty. It's about people and relationships and God's infinite involvement. Love that.


Photo Credit: Steve Perry (Morocco, Africa)

No comments:

Post a Comment